Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Mark and Mary Willenbrink
Mark and Mary Willenbrink, best-selling authors of the Absolute Beginner art instruction series, have been working together as a team in the publishing industry for decades. Sharing the fundamentals of art in understandable terms, Mark and Mary enjoy encouraging others to pursue their creative potential. Mark is a fine artist and teaches art classes and workshops. Mary is an author and home-school mom. Mark and Mary live with their family, border collie and two cats in southwestern Ohio. For more information, visit their website www.shadowblaze.com
Customers Also Bought Items By
Authors Mark and Mary Willenbrink (Watercolor for the Absolute Beginner) cover it all—from choosing materials and the correct way to hold your pencil, to expert advice on the tricky stuff, like getting proportions and perspective right, drawing reflections, and designing strong compositions. (It's not as scary as it sounds…not with Mark and Mary as your guide!)
At the heart of this book, a series of fun, hands-on exercises help you practice and perfect your strokes—24 mini-demos lead up to 9 full step-by-step demos. Each exercise builds on the previous one as you develop your skills, build your confidence, and enjoy yourself along the way. The lessons you learn by drawing simple subjects such as coffee mugs, clouds and trees will help you take on progressively more challenging matter like animals, still lifes, landscapes and portraits…the kinds of subjects and scenes you've always dreamt of drawing.
This book is just the ticket for budding artists of any age. It's never too early and never too late to discover the pure joy of drawing.
In their fun and friendly teaching style, Mark and Mary Willenbrink offer a great beginner's course on drawing nature, showing you how to realistically capture the world around you.
All you need to get started are some simple supplies, basic techniques, and inspiration. From field to forest, beach or mountain, begin with a structural sketch, apply values and textures, and, before you know it, you'll be drawing everything you see. You'll even learn how to render favorite wildlife such as chipmunks, deer and eagles!
• Follow along with easy step-by-step demonstrations to draw rocks, seashells, butterflies and even more developed nature scenes.
• Gain a working understanding of key concepts such as perspective, value and composition.
• Discover simple tools and tips you can use right away to improve your art.
Mark and Mary Willenbrink's Absolute Beginner books have helped thousands of novices tap into their inner artists. In this book, Mark and Mary help the beginning artist take on portraits, showing that absolutely anyone can draw faces. Their encouraging, easy-to-follow instruction style makes learning fun—you'll be amazed by how quickly you achieve impressive results.
Drawing Portraits for the Absolute Beginner covers everything from warming up with sketches, and capturing facial expressions, to framing your finished work. Page by page, you'll build the skills and confidence you need to draw lifelike portraits of your friends and family.
• A simple two-stage approach to drawing portraits: sketch a likeness, then build up values to bring it to life
• Step-by-step instruction for drawing eyes, noses, mouths, hairstyles, hands, glasses and other tricky elements
• 13 complete demonstrations featuring a range of ages and ethnicities
• Tips for evoking more personality in your portraits by using props, costumes and accessories
Oil painting doesn't have to be rocket science, although some books on the subject make it seem that way. Filled with encouraging, easy-to-follow instruction, Oil Painting for the Absolute Beginner is a no-fear, no-experience-required guide to enjoyable painting and happy results. Focusing on the needs of the first-time painter, this book covers everything from selecting brushes and setting up your palette to key principles of color and composition, presented in a way that moves you confidently from first strokes to finished paintings.
• Mini demonstrations break down fundamental painting techniques in a clear, common sense way
• 12 step-by-step painting projects progress from simple landscapes, still life and flower paintings to more challenging subjects, such as animals, seascapes and portraits
• The bonus DVD-workshop features the author creating two paintings from start to finish
You'll learn tricks for keeping the greens in your landscapes looking fresh, advantages to working with water-soluble oil paints, simple tips for dynamic compositions and other expert advice to make your introduction to oil painting the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
Known for their friendly, focused approach to teaching art, Mark and Mary Willenbrink show beginning artists how to draw people in a realistic style. Inside you'll find everything you need to succeed, from how to select and hold your pencils to expert instruction on drawing hands, clothing and figures in motion. This book steers you clear of common mistakes and brings clarity to even notoriously tricky concepts like perspective and values.
While the human subject is wonderfully diverse, this book teaches an easy-to-learn approach that can be used to achieve accurate drawings every time. Thirteen complete figure drawing demonstrations show how. Start with a few lines to establish basic proportions, sketch in placement lines, then gradually develop details. Before you know it, you'll be drawing people of all ages, body types and personalities!
This book makes it easy to get started. The quality of your results will encourage you to keep at it, building your skills and your confidence with every stroke.
• Tricks for ensuring accurate body proportions and feature placement in your drawings.
• Expert advice on drawing heads, hands, legs, clothes and more.
• 13 step-by-step demonstrations featuring a diversity of model types, lighting and poses.
Perspective is arguably the most important element of drawing and also one of the most difficult to master. It's what gives drawings dimension and is the key to realistic drawing. Now the best-selling authors of Drawing for the Absolute Beginner are here to demystify perspective, simplify concepts such as vanishing points and multi-point perspective, and make it easy for you to experience success...and have fun while you're doing it.
• Tricks and techniques for creating depth and dimension using lines (linear perspective), values (atmospheric perspective) and color.
• 23 mini demonstrations on how to apply basic principles of perspective make getting started easy.
• 12 full step-by-step demonstrations, each with a structural drawing, cover a variety of subjects, including interiors, architecture and still lifes.
• Starting with a simple box to illustrate fundamental concepts, artists will develop a working understanding of how to cast any subject in realistic depth and dimension. This book puts it all into perspective.
Even if you have never drawn or painted before, you can start creating your own beautiful artwork. Let the Willenbrinks show you how!
Beginning with materials and basic techniques, these pages will teach you everything you need to know to get started in drawing, watercolors and oil painting. Follow along with 75+ demonstrations and mini-demonstrations as you learn how to draw and paint a wide variety of subjects: people, landscapes, buildings, still life and more. Every essential art topic is covered, from sketching and shading to composition and color. Simple step-by-step instruction and many enormously useful lessons and tips will have you making your own masterpieces in no time!
You may be an absolute beginner, but great results are absolutely within reach!
If you've ever dreamed of painting in watercolor, this is the book for you. It's designed to help you start experiencing the joy of watercolor immediately - even if you've never picked up a brush.
Mark and Mary Willenbrink provide all the guidance and encouragement you need. Their painting techniques, tips and tricks help make every step you take a success, from selecting colors to designing a composition. It's like having two private art instructors right there at your side.
In no time at all you'll be hanging original works of art - pieces you'll be proud to show to family and friends. The Willenbrinks' easy-to-follow instruction ensures it.