Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Amarilys Henderson
Amarilys Henderson is a watercolor illustrator originally from Puerto Rico. Her upbringing had her live in several states, and then ultimately overseas as an adult. With her sketchbook and art supplies always in tow, Amarilys can't remember a time when creativity did not play a regular role in her life. Her path ultimately lead her to major in illustration at the Savannah College of Art and Design and begin illustrating in books and publications in 2003.
She has since enjoyed bringing the dynamic vibrancy of watercolor to everyday products, from paper to porcelain as a surface designer and illustrator. Her business, Watercolor Devo, came from her creative renaissance catalyzed by newfound motherhood and refreshed faith. Her creative Christian expressions (coined "watercolor devo's) drew Amarilys back to the joy of depicting truth, life, and beauty.
Amariys' experience as a commercial artist and in print design opened the way for her to teach online, becoming a Top Teacher on Skillshare, sharing her techniques to her 96,000 students.
You'll find this boy-mom curled up like a cat in her Minnesota studio, lattes and brushes at the ready. See more of her work on amarilyshenderson.com & instagram.com/watercolordevo
Customers Also Bought Items By
- Gathering supplies. Consider the creative possibilities of watercolor, ink, and markers, and create a mobile sketch pack so you can capture faces and expressions on the go.
- Simplifying the face and identifying proportions. Use photos to simplify the face’s key elements, learn about facial proportions and factors and variables for placing facial features, and apply these concepts through a simple warm up using a single color to paint a face in multiple values.
- Facial shapes and features. Learn about the five basic facial shapes and how to modify the chin line, ears, and hairline, and how to draw and paint mouths, eyes, and noses and make alterations to show pose and personality.
- Mixing color. The pigments and brushes you’ll need to achieve a wide range of realistic skin tones, shadows, and expressions.
- Bringing faces to life. Navigate the process from start to finish, learn to adjust line quality to suggest different genders and ethnicities, and change up artistic styling to put a unique spin on your creations.
- Project ideas. Get inspired by some cool ways to apply your new skills: party invitations, repeat patterns, comic books, and more!
With accessible, encouraging guidance from Amarilys Henderson—artist, popular online instructor, and author of Drawing and Painting Expressive Little Faces—explore:
- Basic Supplies. Learn about the sketching and painting mediums you’ll use in your work, including watercolor, inks, gouache, and markers.
- Essential Elements. Discover the scope of animals’ sizes, shapes, and features, from nose to tail.
- Emotion and Expression. Learn how to adjust basic shapes, postures, and poses to convey a range of animal emotions and expressions, from sly and sneaky to angry to curious.
- Animal Tutorials. Draw and paint more than 30 animals—from favorites like horses, bunnies, and birds to exotics like cheetahs, rhinos, and koalas—and investigate 11 different “style twists,” including using color in unique ways, enhancing cuteness, and playing with other mediums.
Find your favorite way to portray a variety of animals, from cute little critters to big, strong beasts, in Drawing and Painting Expressive Little Animals!