Bad. Full size too small; awful buttons; flimsy pockets; no phone/tech pocket; "ash camo"... isn't.
Reviewed in the United States on 14 September 2021
Returned. HARD pass. Disappointment on all counts. Not a single good thing to say about these but that they would suffice to cover your bare arse in a pinch. They aren't even a decent deal for the price. I considered keeping a pair of these in my "wearable but strictly non-utilitarian" wardrobe, i.e. just for lounging around in the yard or at home... but I *always* have something either in my pockets or needing to go in my pockets—imagine that, sounds like I need cargo shorts—and the pockets in these are so bad that they are genuinely useless under any circumstance.
If you're shopping for a bare-bones cargo short for casual use or just to start from, an upgrade to these in absolutely every respect (though still far from perfect themselves) would be the "Wrangler Authentics Men's Classic Relaxed Fit Stretch Cargo Short." Same material but with a more comfortable fit, and they at least run true to size, and—critically—they have velcro cargo side-pockets you can actually use, as well as a good phone/tech pocket (though it's on the left side).
As for these, if you want the breakdown of why you shouldn't buy them, here ya go:
- Firstly, these are not the old Ash Camo style and color you might already own, as I do. If you have an older version of these, hang on to them for dear life; it's worth paying for good patchwork to keep them alive. These, on the other hand, are a vastly inferior product, and a totally different color (not at all as shown in product pictures). This "updated" version is just a slightly faded forest bdu pattern and color, so know in advance that they will now be a woodland palette - not urban, as they used to be.
... Oh, but did I mention that they also suck in every other way?
- RUNS SMALL. I EDC both IWB and OWB, and normally wear a 38" with a belt, as anything in that size will be slightly to moderately loose on me. I ordered a 40" of these after reading reviews, and can confirm that they run very small - too small to carry IWB, and almost too small even to carry OWB. These are tighter than any of my 38" jeans. If you normally only wear a single size in pants/shorts, go up one size (2") to be comfortable in these. If you are normally between sizes, you will need to go up 2 full sizes (4") to be comfortable in these.
- CHEAP JUNK IN GENERAL. Per the tag, these are made in the same sweatshop in Bangladesh that also makes Wrangler's newest—read, cheap, sub-par—lines of similar shorts, and you can definitely tell. Shoddy threadwork at the corners of every seam, just waiting to unravel the first time you wash it - which it will.
- BAD POCKETS & FASTENERS: Flimsy, barely-there side-slash and rear pockets that will absolutely not last more than a few weeks of normal use (assuming keys, wallet, phone, knife). Thinner than typical side pockets in jeans, for reference. All pockets, including the side cargo pockets, are overly-loose and don't have a prayer of retaining stored items unless they are completely fastened shut - and only the lower button-up pockets at that. The two upper cargo pockets only have a single velcro patch, which is a big no-no for cargos; you can guarantee that anything you put in them will be gone the first time you sit/bend down. The buttons on the lower cargo pockets are too big for their ports, so they're a pain in the ass to open or close. Even when "secured" in the button pockets, items will tumble around annoyingly when you move due to the pockets' overly-loose sidewall construction.
- BAD ZIPPER: Terrible, sharp, rough, cheap zipper that will rip right through the shorts it's installed on if you give it half a chance. A decent quality, plated, pre-stressed zipper costs about 1/5th of a cent. No excuse for this nonsense.